9 Apr 2011

Started Early, Took My Dog - by Kate Atkinson

What an excellent book! It is a complex story, told from a number of characters' viewpoints and there are flashbacks to the events of 30 years before. Regardless of the complexity and the many characters, I never felt lost, as the pace of the book and the inclusion of "reminders" in the way the text flowed kept me going.

It's essentially a "who done it", but with much more subtlety than that genre might suggest. For a long time you are unsure what they had done, let alone who was the bad guy. The multiple threads all interlink to build up the picture of the true sequence of events. If I have a criticism, it is that the ending is a bit disappointing. The important stuff is all tied up, but one is left unclear about where a couple of the main characters might go next.

I realised that this is the fourth book in a series that feature Jackson Brodie, one of the main characters. I will certainly be reading the others.

No comments: