8 Jul 2011

Long Song - by Andrea Levy

This book is the story of the life of a slave girl in Jamaica in the mid-nineteenth Century, told in her own words. It is a very graphic story, some of which illustrates how horrifically some people can treat their fellow human beings. It is more than just a study of the life and conditions, it is a true life story with lots of insight into the characters of the people around the author - both black and white.

I was impressed by the use of language. It is written in the appropriate patois, but this is rendered with a light touch, with just enough unusual words to give it a genuine ring, but not so much that it gets in the way of clarity. I found it quite straightforward to read and it kept me turning the pages. I read it amazingly quickly, helped by dead time during a recent business trip.

I had high expectations of the author's work and I was not disappointed.

No comments: