23 May 2012

Empty Cradles - by Margaret Humphreys

A challenge, when talking about a book like this, is to separate my emotional reaction to the matters described from the quality of the writing used to describe them. By any measure, the mass, involuntary migration of children from the UK to Australia and other countries was a travesty - it should never have happened. The stories of the damage done to these children will stay with me for a long time to come.

I guess I answered my own question about the quality of writing. It it were not good, the story would not have stimulated an emotional reaction. But it did. The story was also quite well paced and it kept me turning the pages. There are a few unanswered questions and, if I want to be critical, I would say that the ending is a little weak - anticlimactic anyway.

Now I have to decide whether to get the DVD of the film Oranges and Sunshine...

3 comments:

nne Skene said...

efinitely get the DVD.
Ending weak? well, it hasn't ended - there are still people over there trying to find out about their roots and why their parents were shipped to Australia.

nne Skene said...

efinitely get the DVD.
Ending weak? well, it hasn't ended - there are still people over there trying to find out about their roots and why their parents were shipped to Australia.

nne Skene said...

efinitely get the DVD.
Ending weak? well, it hasn't ended - there are still people over there trying to find out about their roots and why their parents were shipped to Australia.