26 Jul 2012

The Finkler Question - by Howard Jacobson

It is unusual for me to read a book twice, but I re-read this one because it was my book club selection. I made some comments before, but I guess I now have some new impressions, which are also coloured by the discussion with other club members.

Overall, the book has many fine qualities, not the least of which are numerous well-written passages and word usage that is very pleasing. The characters, for me, were well described. I am not sure that I liked any of them, but they mostly left an impression, which is the point.

The story is really just a loose framework used as a vehicle to discuss ideas - notably the nature of Jewishness, of love and of self. The downside is the loose ends of the story never get tied up - like who did the mugging?

The book is a little long, the last third in particular being a bit repetitive and rambling.

No comments: