1 Oct 2012

Fifty Shades Freed - by E L James

So, now I have finished the whole Fifty Shades trilogy. Overall, I thought that the story was OK and some of the issues with the characters, that were investigated, were quite interesting. Whether it was worth the [considerable] time it takes me to wade through 1400 or so pages is questionable.

I was glad there was an ending and the story did not just stop, even though a "flash forward" was used to tie things up. I also liked the additional piece that the end which retells the beginning of the story from Christian's POV.

Two random things in particular interested me:

I realized that I think a lot like Christian Grey in a number of areas. In particular, he had a need to be in control, which was borne of a disfunctional childhood. He also had trouble differentiating between actions that were caring and those that are controlling.

I previously said that the sex scenes are really quite tame and stand by that. the language is also odd. She makes reference to her "sex", meaning the whole of the pubic area. This is not because she is coy, because she refers to her vagina and clitoris when needed. This sounds like an archaic word usage. Maybe it is American idiom? She also never refers to Christian's penis, only his erection - seems that she only acknowledged the organ's existence when he was aroused. He also seems to have no testicles ...

No comments: