31 Oct 2012

Human Croquet - by Kate Atkinson

An aspect of Kate Atkinson's books, that I have enjoyed, is the use of multiple story threads, which may seem unconnected, but which all come together in the end, with further details and connections that make the story richer. This book is no exception, but, in some ways, takes the technique to another level. Instead of jumping around in space and backwards and forwards in time for the different threads, this story also jumps "sideways" in time ...

The story is about a house, and the family who live there, over many years, much of it being told by one of them - Isobel Fairfax. She seems to experience a number of brief flashbacks in time and several alternative versions of present reality. By the end of the book, I was less than 100% certain which version [if any] was "real". I also felt that the explanation of why she had this experience was unclear; was she in a coma and dreaming after her accident?

Notwithstanding my confusion, I will be undeterred from reading other books by the author. I look forward to the discussion at my book club, where maybe someone else can explain the book to me.

No comments: