17 Sept 2013

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - by Mark Haddon

Another quite short book which I could read quickly. Having said that, I often felt that I needed a bit of a break, as the writing is rather "full on" sometimes. Overall it is an excellent book, which deserves all the critical acclaim that it has received.

The basic story line is very simple, the the death of the dog being almost incidental. The really interesting aspect of the book is being able to see the world through very different eyes. One hears a lot about Aspergers and people being "on the spectrum', but I felt this book gave a very good insight. Christopher's response to things in the world is almost wholly logical, with the possible exception of the colours to which he is averse and his avoidance of physical contact. Because he takes in so much information, he is unable to ignore lots of the dross, which most of us do not even notce.

I think this is one of the rare books that will stay with me for some time.

No comments: