21 Sept 2013

What I'm reading ...

I have started Enigma by Robert Harris. This is one of 2 books which we are reading as a pair for my book club. The other one is The Secret Life of Bletchley Park, which I read a while ago. Here's the blurb:

Bletchley Park: the top-secret landmark of World War Two, where a group of young people were fighting to defeat Hitler, and win the war. March 1943, the Second World War hangs in the balance, and at Bletchley Park a brilliant young codebreaker is facing a double nightmare. The Germans have unaccountably changed their U-boat Enigma code, threatening a massive Allied defeat. And as suspicion grows that there may be a spy inside Bletchley, Jericho's girlfriend, the beautiful and mysterious Claire Romilly suddenly disappears.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you visited Bletchley Park yet? if not make sure to buy the "Passport" ticket - unlimited visits for a year. You can't do it justice in a single day. If you're even slightly geeky, the national computer museum can eat up one day on its own. Try to find the emulation of the machine architecture of the Elliot computer - running on a RasperryPi

RogerK

Colin said...

Hi Roger

No, I haven't been there. I have been planning to. I even donated some stuff to them a couple of years back, so I should go and check that it's there! Thanks for the tip about tickets.

c

Anonymous said...

They only have room to display a small proportion of the kit they have. But it was a bit sobering to discover the H.263 video compression chips I worked on in a display cabinet there!

I offered them my old Acorn Atom, but they already had enough of them. Makes me laugh every time I hear reference to the Intel Atom cpu - named after an ARM predecessor machine? with 2MHz 6502 CPU & 4Kb static RAM :-)

PS if the guys restoring the Elliot are around; ask to see the transistor schematic of the cpu board - totally different architecture to today's cpus - makes your brain ache wondering how you'd code an algorithm for it

Colin said...

All sounds interesting. I did write to them to check that what I was sending was required and they seemed enthusiastic. We shall see.