1 Jun 2016

Elizabeth is Missing - by Emma Healey

Being written in the first person, I really felt that this book gave me some insight into how it must feel to be suffering dementia. I was particularly impressed by the way that her confusion was conveyed with the rather chaotic text - interleaving the two timelines - but I never got lost.

Overall, I felt the book was beautifully written, with the story well paced. Because of the viewpoint, I am not sure I could say the characters in the contemporaneous timeline are well drawn, but a good impression of them is there. Those in the post-war period were, to me, very clear.

Being rather picky, I was disconcerted by this text: "And that does put another spin on things. Him being wanted.", which occurs in the post-war period. The word "spin" was not used in this sense until the 1970s.

No comments: