26 Jun 2016

The Mandibles: A Family, 2029-2047 - by Lionel Shriver

When I read a novel, I always hope that I will learn something as well as be entertained. In this respect, the book delivered. I have a new perspective and understanding of how economies work. I have sufficient respect for the author’s integrity that I am confident in my new knowledge.

The book is very well written. Although it is set in the future, it is not science fiction, as I would understand it. The technology, like the language, is a modest extrapolation of the current world and I felt that it was very credible. The story takes place over quite a few years, but is told in detail for the beginning period and a later one. The book also has a reasonable ending, which pleased me as I dislike books that just sort of fade out. The story is serious and credible and rather chilling as a result, but there is the odd touch of humour that I enjoyed.

Once again, Shriver has persuaded me that reading more of her work will be a worthwhile way to spend time.

No comments: