1 Jan 2019

La Belle Sauvage - by Philip Pullman

My optimism with this book was well founded - I enjoyed it very much. I always have reservations about “fantasy” books - stories where the world is similar to ours, but not quite the same. However, Pullman is very skilful in this genre. The concept of the dæmon intrigues me. The author never explains it, but the place of these companion beings is gradually elucidated in the book.

The story has all the right features: It is well paced and has clearly drawn characters. As it progresses, there is the odd surprise.

I seem to recall that His Dark Materials was billed as children’s literature. I wonder about this book. Amazon seems to think “Teen and young adult”. There is some language and themes that are not very child friendly.

At the end of the book, I look forward to the publication of the next volume, which I will most likely buy at the introductory Kindle price - the equivalent to buying a newly-published hardback. In the meantime, should I have another read of His Dark Materials?

No comments: