6 Jan 2019

Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore - by Robin Sloan

Most of my choice of reading is dictated by stuff I hear on the radio or driven by my book club. But sometimes I get a recommendation from a friend, which is always interesting, as it can say a lot about the friend; people’s taste in books can be quite an insight.

I really enjoyed this book. It is nicely paced and I got into it very quickly. Before long it was unputdownable. The story is complex, but not excessive. The characters are quite diverse, but well drawn. My only reservation is that, when I read a novel, I like to think that I might learn something. Without having a clear idea of the author’s integrity, I cannot be sure. In this case, my awareness of the programming language Ruby was raised, but did I learn anything about how Google actually operates?

In any case, my choice of what to read next was clear.

No comments: