10 May 2022

Munich - by Robert Harris

As I expected, this book delivered. Robert Harris has never let me down.
The story is very tight - taking place over three days - and is set against the backdrop of some historic events that I was keen to learn about. It is complex, with quite a lot of characters, but I never found it confusing. A good read with twists right up to the end.
As I like to learn things when I’m reading fiction, I tend to favour authors with integrity and Harris is well known for getting the details right. I enjoyed Lear the random fact that Hitler required documents to be typed using a special typewriter which used a very large font. I think he was vain about weary spectacles. 
I was worried by a reference to British Airways in 1938, as I knew that the company was formed as a result of the mergers of BEA and BOAC (in the 70s). I needn’t have worried. I checked and there was indeed a company with this name back then.

No comments: