4 Oct 2013

Enigma - by Robert Harris

An excellent book. I had high expectations, having read several other books by this author and being confident in his integrity. I could, therefore, easily have been disappointed, but I was not. The story kept my attention effortlessly, with just enough twists to keep me wondering what would come next. I found the characters quite believable and enjoyed all the contextual stuff about life during WW2. Having read The Secret Life of Bletchley Park, I was well appraised of the terminology and culture, which was useful. The story is well structured, with just about all the loose ends tied up. I enjoyed the attention to detail and, because I trust the author, come away feeling that I have learned something.

I am now keen to read more Robert Harris books and other stuff about Bletchley Park.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More Robert Harris is well worth seeking out, but they are very varied. I enjoyed Pompeii the most of all (based on the historical writings of Pliny the Younger, but a fictitious thriller told through the eyes of a hydraulic engineer in charge of the aqueducts around Vesuvius). Archangel was gripping & a great read, but I gave up in Imperium a few chapters in,

RogerK

Colin said...

Yes, I have read all of those, but didn't give up on Imperium. I also read Fatherland.