27 Oct 2013

One Summer: America 1927 - by Bill Bryson

As a big fan of the author, I had high expectations of this book. I was not disappointed. It is quite a big book and Bryson uses the space to cover the events of and around Summer 1927 in lots of detail. There are tons of facts, but they are presented in coherent, entertaining and energetic way - every story leads the reader on to the next. I always enjoy learning about topics that I already thought that I knew about. Among the numerous subjects upon which I am now better informed are:

  • Charles Lindbergh, and the beginnings of aviation in general
  • Babe Ruth, and the emergence of baseball
  • Prohibition
  • The Great Depression
  • Henry Ford
  • The emergence of boxing
  • The development of "talkies"
  •  The KKK and eugenics

Once again Bryson has delivered. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was sad when it came to an end.

No comments: