28 Oct 2013

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry - by Rachel Joyce

Another outstanding book that was a pleasure to read. I got through it quickly, as I started it at the beginning of a long flight, which provided plenty of uninterrupted reading time. I engaged with the book very quickly and it was soon un-put-downable.

Although the book is a story about a few weeks of Harold's life, it is really an investigation of emotions - what we feel, how we feel it, how we express those feelings and, most importantly, what happens when we do not express them. It covers some very emotionally charged territory, some of which is very "close to home" for me. So, I found the book very moving and thought provoking.

It is beautifully written, well paced and evokes strong images and feelings. This is particularly surprising as it is the first novel by an experienced playwright. I thought that a particular short passage, covering Queenie's death, was so economic and poignant that I decided to transcribe it here:
Queenie parted her lips, hunting for the next intake of air. And when it didn't come, but something else did, it was as easy as breathing.
Could a peaceful death be described better than that? I will be reading more by this author [her second book was published recently ...].

No comments: