17 Aug 2016

Night Train To Lisbon - by Pascal Mercier

While reading this book, a couple of people asked me what it was about and I was unable to answer. I figured that, by the time I finished it, I would know the answer. But I was wrong. On one level, it is all about Gregorius and his sudden change of lifestyle. On another, it is about Prado - or Gregorius piecing his story together. Or perhaps it is just a study on life, the Universe and everything. I remain uncertain.

This does not mean that I did not enjoy the book - I did on many levels. The description of the places and Gregorius’ impressions of them was often quite beautiful. I loved the vast array of characters and their nuances and foibles. The quality of writing is excellent. Overall, I did not really feel that I got to know Gregorius and I have no understanding of why he suddenly dropped everything. As far as I could see, this was totally out of character - not a natural development. In summary, can see through his eye, but not get into his head.

Like so many books, I thought that the ending was rushed and disappointing. Gregorius’ dizziness was reported time and time again, along with his worries about it [with the obvious reference to Prado’s illness], but we never learned what his diagnosis was. That was left hanging. I wanted to know.

No comments: