27 Oct 2023

The Starless Sea - by Erin Morgenstern

I am always rather wary of books that are pure fantasy and I guess that’s what this one is. However, I kept on turning the pages.
The book has an interesting structure. The main protagonist finds a book, with which he is intrigued. The book then starts alternating between the fantastical stories in the found book and the seemingly normal life of Zachary. As the book progresses things change and, by the end, the nature of the alternate pieces swaps. The excerpts from a book are quite normal, but Zachary’s story becomes downright weird.
It’s hard to say how much I liked the book, as I found it rather unfulfilling, but I did stick with it to the bitter end.
I suppose I won’t be in a hurry to read more of the author’s work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I adore fantasy novels, as well as books about books. And yet I couldn’t get into this one, despite repeated attempts. I feel like I’m the only person in the world who didn’t like the author’s first book, The Night Circus, so I suppose it’s not altogether surprising I didn’t like this one, either. But the subject matter was so spot on for my personal proclivities that I thought it must be a match! Wrong.