29 Nov 2023

Demon Copperhead - by Barbara Kingsolver

This was a big book and, being a slow reader, it took me a while. But it was time well spent! The book is so beautifully written. The story is interesting, with a good pace, well drawn characters and great descriptions of places and the main protagonist’s thoughts and feelings. The story is told from a single POV and the author gently changes the tone as he gets older [and wiser?]. As I always like to think that I am learning about the world when I read fiction, I was very happy with the feeling of authenticity in the book, as the author lives in the area where it is set.
I have shied away from this author in the past, as I am rather wary of “award winning” books [fear of the Emperor’s New Clothes phenomenon]. I will definitely investigate her other books now.

No comments: