28 Mar 2024

The Book of Two Ways - by Jodi Picoult

When I read a novel, I am looking for two things: I want a gripping story, with plenty of details, skilfully written; I want to learn something about the world. When I started reading this book, I was fairly sure that the author would deliver. Having read it, I feel, if anything, she over-delivers!
Things I learned about: Egyptology, hieroglyphics, quantum physics, medical procedures and brain surgery, modern art, the chemistry of tears, end of life care. The story is also quite emotional and this is something that I find is a particular benefit of skilled female authors: I can learn just a bit about the feelings and emotions that women experience.
The book has multiple timelines. It is not a gimmick - it really is needed to tell the story. At one stage I was concerned that I was slightly confused, but I eventually realised that a little timeline confusion was also a necessary part of the story.
At first, I found the ending a little unsatisfying. But, after a little thought, I concluded that it was the only possible way to end the book and was ingenious. I later saw that the author’s editor had guided her in this direction.
I have read a number of Jodi Picoult’s books and seeing how many more are available to be read is exciting.
I have a feeling that it will be a while before I come across another book as richly enjoyable as this one.

No comments: